Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What Happens in Vegas... - Marahau to Barrytown (AKA Baz Vegas)

Awakening far too early and quite sore from the busy day before, much of the trip from Marahau to Barrytown was spent asleep.
It was slightly sad leaving Abel Tasman after all of the excitement, but the tiny town of Barry was one of the more anticipated stops on the journey, so anticipation prevailed.
The reason wee Barrytown was so exciting was because of the carving that takes place there. You can make your own knife, carve bones, carve jade, and then subdue your foes with the furits of your labour.
I was disheartened to learn that making a knife was an all-day affair and would require spending an extra night that I didn't have in order to do it. However, Barrytown or Baz Vegas is a legendary stop on the Stray bus for other reasons. The accommodation is out back of the central pub, and while the facilities are quaint, there is a substantial costume room and cheap booze to keep interesting things happening.
I should point out that I had a rather eloquent post all typed out for this leg of the journey, but the interwebs nom'd it all down, so I'm afraid it's the silver medal version.
Heading into Barrytown we had a cheap meal option - a tasty burger with fries and a beer for only $12 - choice!
After that it was a wee wonder around the shop for some social munching of vegetables, playing with the hostel kitty, and catching up on my painfully neglected journal.
All this lasted into the night and about 10 there seemed to be no sign of drunken rowdiness.
Just as all hope seemed to be lost, some of our young Dutch friends appeared in skirts and oversized sunglasses, beckoning us to join. Theatre background: engage!
However, just as I headed back to my room to stash my notebook, I was met with a contrary sight. All five of my bunkmates were in bed reading and writing. Feeling a little sleepy, I sat down for half a second.
10 hours later, it was time to wake up and carve some bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment