Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Perfectly Good Bridge - Makarora to Queenstown

The day had finally arrived!
Everyone was abuzz with the prospect of arriving in Queenstown - the adventure Mecca of New Zealand and perhaps the world!
But first, there was the drive to Wanaka, sprinkled with lovely photo stops before a good ol' lunch break in Wanaka itself. This was a sad time, as Curtis, Hayley, Davin, Astrid, Anika, and Kevin would all depart the bus for two nights of relaxation away from the madding bus. I had planned the same for myself come Dunedin, but was still not the happiest camper when they took all of their bags and got off the bus.
The new sixsome consisted of myself, Fionnuala, Emma, Manon, Yukya (who sang the best damn 'Let It Be' the night before), and Kennith, fellow king of the forest. We walked around Wanaka and consoled ourselves with a swingset and pictures with a giant hand.
Afterwards we wandered over to the Subway to meet some other Strayers and experience the best view I've ever had from a fast food outlet.
Back on the bus, it was a b-line down to Queenstown, home of bungy. We stopped on the outskirts to watch an intro to bungy video at the very first official bungy site.
As I mentioned earlier I had no intention of hurling myself off a bridge, but seeing as it was the first one and as old as I am and $40 off, I thought I'd go plunge towards the river.
A few of us went right away while the others watched with cameras. Getting up third in line, I saw one comrade tell the operator "I'm so fucking scared." just before turning around and falling 43m towards the water.
My turn next and I tried to make a show of it, which I did in an unintentional way.
Running out of time so more about that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment