Saturday, February 19, 2011

They Call It "Rugby" - Franz Josef Day 2

A rather short post on a short but sweet day.
As the Glacier hike was out, I was able to sleep in and go at my own pace, so I lazily stayed in bed until near noon before making a big ol' pot of spaghetti and lounging in front of the impressively-sized but unsatisfactory television watching a countdown of the greatest music videos of all time.
Once that got stale I threw in some washing and headed out to explore the town in search of treasure in the form of a stuffed toy Kakapo. The wee glacier village has four major souvenir shops, none of which were home to the elusive bird. As it was pissing rain and I was drenched, I decided to head back to the hostel, feeling a little better about having done some minor form of exercise while most everyone else was off falling down glaciers.
A change of laundry and the first hikers arrived back home just as I had put everything in the dryer. They were headed to the enormous 20-person spa pool, and a dip sounded like quite the treat so I joined in.
A warm and relaxing 45 minutes later we split up into dinner parties and foraged for noodles in the hostel kitchen.
After that it was out to the pub to take in the Cup Final of the Wellington 7s, which featured an impressive victory by the All Blacks over the English.
How to celebrate? Drink and tell dirty jokes of course! The evening was full of merriment and social gaiety late into the night before we finally settled down to sleep prior to the trip's most frequently-overlooked stop, Makarora.

No comments:

Post a Comment