Sunday, February 20, 2011

I (Heart) Luge - Queenstown Part 3

So we raced up the stairs towards the bridge for more flying body adventures. I had my jumpstyle prepicked so I got suited up first. The body harness held at the waist and even came with a padded seat so that once the swing had swung one could just sit back and enjoy the river view as they were raised back up by winch to the jump point.
I got a hassling from the crew for wearing my AJ Hackett (rival company) t-shirt, so I jumped with my shirt covered in duct tape. Then they found out I was Canadian, which was listed right beside pregnancy, heart disease and back problems as serious medical conditions that could compromise one's ability to jump. Razz razz razz.
Eventually I stepped through the gate to the jump area. As anyone who knows me can tell you, my decision-making is not what you would call 'swift.' Given that, I decided to go with "Jumpmaster's Choice" for my first swing. After a brief conversation, it was decided that I would go backwards. The crew at the Canyon Swing were a bunch of jokers and really fun people, and their hilarious antics included dangling you off the bridge and then catching you just before your inertia got the better of you. After some happy snaps I was able to just lean back into oblivion.
The rush was incredible! Though I twisted in mid-air and didn't manage to get the whole "watch the cliff falling away from you" effect, it was still quite exhilerating. So much so that I opted to pay the $40 I'd saved from the bungy to jump a second time.
This time I chose a style called "Gimp Boy Goes to Hollywood," which consists of turning oneself upside down, reaching for the river below, and swinging eyeballs first into the canyon. The jokers decided it would be fun to pretend they hadn't done the proper safety check, but that was old hat by then, and when they finally launched me it was a marvellous ride! I picked up the customary t-shirt and dvd to relive the experience, which was well put together.
After that I chatted a little more with my fellow jumpers and invited them to the pub later in the evening to celebrate with the Strayers. I didn't manage to find them later, but they had not nailed down their plans when we parted, so no worries.
After the ride I headed back to the hostel to find Fionnuala, Emma, and Alan in the room about to hit the town. Manon had done a skydive that morning and was currently out doing the Nevis bungy, but we managed to collect her and Yukya before setting forth.
We went down to the Info & Track to book some fabulous luging for that evening and further activities for later on.
I got myself a haircut while the others shopped and we all met back up at the hostelbefore heading over to the gondola for luging action.
What started as a nice ride up the mountain culminated in 6 runs down a portion of it in modified luge carts for a nostalgic Mario Kart experience. We met up with some others from the bus and took turns taking photos of the adventure before staging a big race at the end. Despite Emma's crafty cheating, Fionnuala came out the winner and we all chipped in for a celebratory I Heart Luge t-shirt. I guess luge is not as well known across the pond, as our Irish friends could not stop saying the word and giggling.
After that it was downtown for some ginormous FergBurgers and Cookie Time! cookies and the pub meeting that would be our last day with Curry.
We took photos and drank ales and had a bit of a dance as another parting was imminant. Only myself, Manon and Maud were to carry on forth to Te Anau/Milford Sound the next day and some proper goodbyes were in order.
The night ended with a 1:20am ice cream and some pre-emptive hugs goodbye before climbing into bed for a short rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment