Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Yatta! Part 3 - Shark Bait

Adventure intervenes!
So, a busy day in the land of the Kiwis.
From last night's walk around, Tobi, Robert and I found a street performer in a wheelchair singing GreenDay's "When I Come Around" with some proficiency. He also directed us to cheap pizza and cheap beer.
After enjoying a bit of both, we hit up the central student bar for pool on a crooked table and dirt cheap import beer. A good time all in all, but not the rager we were expecting.
A viewing of "The Hurt Locker" back at the hostel and a nice long sleep before today's big sojourn.
I had planned to go to Rangitoto (a volcanic island) for some sightseeing and a quick hike. Laziness and indecisiveness trumped that plan, and I was left to redesign my day.
I ran into Robert who went with me and a French man named Victor to a corner coffee shop to discuss smoking (which everyone does here) and girls and life and love. Toward the end of the conversation I mentioned going to an aquarium and penguin exhibit (!) called Kelly Tarlton's and managed to rope the two gentlemen and the long-slumbered Tobi into going on a cage dive with me into a pool full of sharks. Sweet as. I definitely reccommend it. A little pricey, but it included admission to the facility, a backstage tour complete with turtles, and a half hour in the cage. The highlight so far for sure.
After that we took a stroll and found some Subway downtown, before picking up some beer for a long drunken night with another German, a Brazilian girl, a Dutch girl, an Irishman named James who will be joining me on the Stray tour starting tomorrow, and myself, culminating in being denied access to a club and meting my first other Canadians of the trip.
More on that later.

1 comment:

  1. SHARKS!!!! So brave! Sounds like you are meeting some awesome people and having some awesome times! Yay!

    ReplyDelete