Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yatta! Part 2

Kia Ora!
Hello again from NZ! Day 2 and still alive.
Where was I?
LAX: After departing from my New Mexico themed table and watching the Jets lose, I stumbled around the International Connections terminal in search of treasure.
I had hoped being in the US in a massive airport would allow me to find and purchase a case for my Kindle, but alas, no such luck. Instead it was two overpriced Clif bars and a few hours of sitting by the gate reading.
The delightfully Kiwi staff made a few announcements before we boarded, including one informing us lucky passengers that our aircraft was brand new and this was to be its third commercial flight (my thoughts were somewhere between "ooooooh!" and the Titanic).
We boarded the flying Hilton right on schedule, and every one of the 68 rows was packed full. Sitting down to my complimentary pillow, blanket and headphones, I examined the entertainment system: basically an iPad latched into the seat in front of me with its own private remote control, on the backside of which was a game controller for such time-passers as 5 a side football and the British "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" (turns out I would make a terrible British citizen).
The entertainment choices consisted of over 250 movies, 250 tv episodes, and about 150 different full albums to listen to, with the ability to customize a playlist including any of these in combination with the satellite radio. 11 hour flight, full season of How I Met Your Mother? Problem solved.
Dinner was braised beef, which was suprisingly palletable, washed down with two free beers (they were out of whiskey, so another can of kiwi brew was offered as compensation) and pineapple cake for dessert. Mmmmm.
After that most folks went to sleep. My body was filled with a slumber-fatal mixture of soreness, excitement, and faster-than-humanly-possible processed alcohol. Couple that with tantalizing entertainments and two toddlers the row behind me, and you get unsatisfactory sleep.
I had a chance to chat with my neighbours on the flight, an Australian education student named Victoria who was flying home from a vacay in the US of A, and a retired couple from North Carolina, all of whom were very nice.
By the time we were in the final third of the flight my body was screaming at me and the sleep-deprived, nervously excited mind was in agreement. Luckily a delicious breakfast was just what the doctor ordered and the final few hours of the flight were a breeze after that.
Saying goodbye to those around me, I headed for the terminal. Firstly, customs, which consisted of a spirited conversation with a Maori border guard about who would win the Stanley Cup (thank you, Canada hoodie). Then baggage screening and a few quick questions and it was up to the rigs of Auckland town.
A phone card and a bottle of L&P to go with the tourist ensemble, and I made the "I'm alive" phone calls to parents and Cat, which were very sweet.
Beyond that was a half-asleep bus ride from Auckland Airport to downtown, during which I was jerked awake by the horrified thought that we were on the wrong side of the road and about to die.
A quick jaunt through downtown to buy sandals and examine the theatre complex and it was back to the hostel. I was much too early for check in, but the lady behind the desk upgraded me to a 2-share instead of a dorm and I was able to sleep right away.
After my midday snooze I met my roommate, Tobi, who is halfway through a world-tour before returning to his native Germany. We went up to the sundeck to snack and chat and met a very nice Englishwoman named Julie and a middle-aged Danish couple named Lars and Olin, who plied me with fresh fruit, tea, and crisps while detailing the wonders of skydiving (both were fully lisenced).
After that it was a late evening stroll through downtown with Tobi, who has a penchant for street musicians, and Robert, another German, who is just ending the NZ leg of a massive world adventure as well.
More to come after these web-card top ups!

No comments:

Post a Comment