Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stray't Into It - Auckland to Hahei

It's been awhile since my last post but I have been busy bussing around the North Island and generally having the time of my life. The previous Haka and Poi videos were taken at our Maori cultural overnight stop at Uncle Boy's and posted first so that my fellow travellers could post our exploits around the interwebs.
To continue the narrative...
Late night boozing in Auckland was stopped short when my Canadian ID was shot down at "Mink Coat." Tossers. Apparently I looked like someone who had caused trouble previously and they wanted nothing to do with me.
The others went inside and I strolled on down Queen Street back to the hostel where I met two Canadian girls named Megan and Kyla from Edmonton. They were being courted by an intoxicated Englishman called Anton with little success. We all had a good chat and it seemed the ladies from the great white north went through school at the same time that I did, three hours up the road.
After those folks headed to bed and I posted the last narrative, I sat down with Philip from England for a long and enjoyable discussion about human behaviour, fitness, film, sport, and the folly of humanity. Very enjoyable and a saving grace for the cock up at the club.
Tobi joined us, returning from another pub (we had left him alone with the Dutch girl for some private travelplanning) and we all hit the hay around 3:30am. 4 hours later it was time for the Stray bus.
James, who hadn't slept, and I trekked up a hill something akin to Caddy Bay's road to ruin before meeting the bus.
Our driver's name is Curry and she's pretty cool. She gets us from A to B without fuss and makes sure we get pumped on activities.
Day one we set off to Hahei for some beach time, which seemed to hop out of a painting and into reality. White sand beaches, crashing waves, and the clearest water since Vernon. Pics to follow.
It was a bit of a bush hike to get to Cathedral Cove, which afforded time to better get to know James, Luis from Mexico, and Dane, Leigh, Caroline, Sarah and Claire from England.
Good times had by all, pounding through the waves and swimming to a rock that was made to be leapt off of. Leigh had a bit of a scrape, but otherwise the first day made me question already when I could come back.
Back at the hostel for tasty BBQ and more introductions to the lads and lasses. Hugh and I went halves on an 18 pack of Tui which was supposed to last 3 days. It was gone by noon the next day. Also, James, if you're reading this, you owe me two cold ones.
Luis' birthday fell that day as well, Katrin (from Denmark) had hers the next day, and Dane the day after that. No need to look for an excuse to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment